- What information ITW collects from you and how they use it
- What choices you have about how ITW treats your information
- How ITW protects your privacy
- What ITW does about children visiting this Website
- How you can contact ITW
- Changes in the policy
ACTIVE INFORMATION COLLECTION
Like many other web sites, we actively collect information from our visitors both by asking specific questions on this Website and by permitting you to communicate directly with us via e-mail. Some of the information that you submit may be personally identifiable (that is, information that can be uniquely identified with you, such as your name, address, e-mail address, phone number, etc.). When you visit the Web Site, we will not collect any personally identifiable information about you unless you provide it to us voluntarily. ITW uses this information for the purposes for which you provide it. For example, if you provide your resume to ITW for purposes of obtaining employment, the resume will be used for activities related to your potential employment.
PASSIVE INFORMATION COLLECTION
Some of the information we collect depends on the settings on your web browser. Please check your web browser if you want to learn what information your browser sends or how to change your settings. In addition to the information sent by your web browser, as you navigate through a web site, certain information can be passively collected (that is, gathered without you actively providing the information) using various technologies and means, such as navigational data collection.
Like most web site operators, we track IP addresses, use session, persistent, and flash cookies or any other successor tracker technology, and assign Internet tags. Our system also automatically gathers information about the areas you visit on this Website and collects operational information about the technology you use, such as your browser, type of computer, operating systems, Internet service providers, and the domain name of the web site from which you linked to this Website.
We reserve the right to use electronic images known as web beacons, also referred to as single-pixel gifs, and any other successor technology, that permit us to count users who have visited certain Website pages and for other related statistics (e.g., recording the popularity of certain Website content and verifying system and server integrity). Web beacons are not used to access your personal information on this Website; they are solely used to compile aggregated statistics concerning the use of this Website. Web beacons collect only a limited set of information including a cookie number, the time and date of a page view and a description of the page on which the web beacon resides.
We passively collect information to understand what areas of this Website are most popular, which areas may require improvement and what technologies are being used by our visitors. This information helps us to update and improve this Website. We also use this information for security purposes, to detect and to block security breaches and to provide you with a safe online environment.
LIMITATIONS ON THE COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
To the extent required by applicable law, whenever ITW collects personal information on the ITW Website, ITW will:
- provide timely and appropriate notice to you about its data practices;
- collect, use, disclose and transfer your personal information only with your consent, which may be express or implied, depending on the sensitivity of the personal information, legal requirements, and other factors;
- collect your personal information only for specific, limited purposes. The information we collect will be relevant, adequate and not excessive for the purposes for which it is collected;
- process your personal information in a manner consistent with the purposes for which it was originally collected or to which you have subsequently consented;
- take commercially reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete, and, where necessary, kept up-to-date;
- not use your personal information for direct marketing purposes without giving you an opportunity to “opt-out”; and
- take appropriate measures, by contract or otherwise, to provide adequate protection for personal information that is disclosed to a third party or transferred to another country, including transfers within ITW.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
ITW retains the personal information collected on the Website as long as necessary to provide the services, products and information you request or as permitted by applicable law.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose personally identifiable information you provide via this Website to third parties, but only:
- to contractors who support our business, in which case we will require such third parties to agree to use the information for the same purposes;
- to respond to law enforcement requests, where required by applicable laws, court order or governmental regulations;
- in situations involving threats of physical safety of any person.
We do not otherwise distribute to third parties your personally identifiable information. However, we will have no liability for disclosure of information obtained due to errors in transmission or the unauthorized intervention of third parties.
We may provide aggregate statistics about our customers, sales, online traffic patterns, and related information to reputable third parties, but these statistics will not include any personally identifying information.
We strive to provide you with as many choices and as much control as possible regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
You may also send us an e-mail message at email@example.com to request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. To protect your privacy, we will only respond to e-mail messages sent from the e-mail account you used to set up your account. Should you elect to have your information deleted, we will also delete your user account.
If you do not want any information collected, then you should choose not to use the ITW Website.
We work hard to protect your personal information. ITW will not sell personal information collected from its Website to mailing list brokers without your express consent. All information is stored within a secured database that is not accessible to the outside world. Resumes are stored on file systems that are not publicly accessible. All ITW servers are protected behind both hardware and software firewalls. Low-level access to all information is restricted to authorized support personnel only.
The safety and security of your information also depend on you. Never share your password with anyone else, notify us promptly if you believe your password security has been breached, and remember to log off of this Website before you leave your computer.
This Website is not intended for children under the age of 13. We will not knowingly collect information from Website visitors in this age group. We encourage parents to talk to their children about their use of the Internet and the information they disclose online. If your child has submitted personal information and you would like to request that such information be deleted from our records, you may do so by using the feedback mechanisms provided at a particular ITW web site, by clicking on the feedback link or by writing us at the address set forth in Section 5 below.
Illinois Tool Works Inc.
155 Harlem Avenue
Glenview, IL 60025